Saturday, March 12, 2011

What happened to Wayne? His rhymes are so lacking these days, so reliant on pussy and money and telling me to fuck off. I miss the old Weezy, the enigmatic little boy who was able to play the mainstream rapper on a surface level, dropping catchy summer beats and phrases that were just as fulfilling as the actual intelligence and wit that laid below them. After he dropped Carter3 and Drake blew up everything changed. He's completely lost his swag, his mystery, the air that laid about him because he was straddling two worlds. Was it Drake? Was it that Drake snatched Wayne's style, cadence, bravado and got more famous than his mentor? Did Weezy feel like he had to push the shithead hitmaker aspect as hard as he could to wiggle back up that ladder and let Drake know on the way up that he's still his daddy? But somewhere around the third to top rung the air got too thin and his blood was too tired and he wanted a smoke and he lost all his air and just started dropping boring yangs and 'verse' on every fucking song that's near 'fit' to play on the radio? I mean, I'd still drop trou for him in moments and will always find some part of every song that at least breezes me away. But... it's just not the same anymore.

All that said, Motivation is delicious. It's bad, I know, just like Kelly's last single, Like This (which I loved, but I will admit was pretty fuzzy). Motivation is sexy though - laying on my bed a few nights ago, reading Anais Nin (okay, maybe that had something to do with my reaction...), I heard it first and immediately wished I was coupled under the sheets with someone slightly less dramatic but maybe similarly creepy as Ms. Nin. I've been halfass working on a new mixtape, and this song was exactly what I was looking for to go after that new Saigon/Faith joint. And anyways, I'll never get tired of smart shit he throws like 'rain on my head, call it brainstorming'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LINKS: Eating A Hobo - Spool Spectrum - This Moi - Wasted Youth Sound System - Weekend Party Update - Besty Q. Bramble - Todo Mundo - Rogue Femme Art - Holy Craft! Fair

Free Blog Counter