Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tape 1

I started this mix months ago for my friend Aubrey but had to stop working on it becuase my old tape deck started failing me. It was recording everything with serious warble, and even after tracking down a head-cleaner it wasn't getting any better. Yesterday, Anna and I took a trip to Savers in W.Rox and I found an optimus deck for $5. I bought it, hoping it would work, and it does. Great. No distortion. As soon as I plugged it in I started back up on the tape, and I finished it this morning.

The way this blog is going to work is I'm going to list the tracks with notations - mainly what format it was recorded from (tape, vinyl, mp3, streaming track). In some cases, like this one, i'll note if there was a break in recording, and when I resumed making the tape. Sometimes maybe i'll tell a story about a track or two.

I don't know how to mix things, and I don't have any sort of equalizer to be fuxing with the levels of what I record. What you're listening to is a mixtape I made in my room, on my OPTIMUS 2-head cassette deck, taken from vinyl played on my technics sl-b3 turntable, from the OPTIMUS deck, from my itunes library, or streamed from imeem or youtube. The levels are off, and it's not an even sound across the tape. Mp3s are better quality than the vinyl tracks and while streaming tracks can be HQ some of them definitely are not.

Whatever. I like it this way.

So pretend that you and I are hanging out in my room, you're reading a Cabinet or W or some Neruda or sum shit, and I'm just hangin out in the corner, playing some music, and we're passin a jib and making fun of people we know and in a little bit we're going out dancing and tomorrow morning when you wake up, you'll have Wine Up On Me stuck in your head, and then if you wanted, you could come to this blog, and download everything I played for you last night and LIVE IT ALL OVER AGAIN

These recordings are really quiet but i'm going to work on making the quality better for the next one. I suggest plugging yr computer into a stereo and blasting the shit out of it. Here we go...

SIDE A



1 // I Wanna Be Down (the human rhythm hip hop rmx) -- Brandy ft. MC Lyte, Queen Latifah and Yo Yo (B side of Baby single) (12")

2 // 808 -- Blaque (LP Version) (12")

3 // I'm Goin Down -- MJB (12")

4 // Say My Name (Nitro Rmx) -- Destiny's Child ft. Nitro and Chief (12" Say My Name dbl disc rmxs)

5 // Yeah Yeah -- Bodyrox (mp3)

6 // Gwaan -- Natalie Storm and Enur (imeem) *1

7 // Wine Up on Me /Beauty Riddim/ -- Zoelah (imeem) *2

8 // Neva Believe U - Mavado (imeem) *3

SIDE B



1 // Get It Get It - Webbie ft. Lil' Tril (mp3) *4

2 // Helluvalife - Gucci ft Gorilla Zoe and Juiceman (mp3)

3 // Day N' Nite - Jim Jones verse (youtube) *5

4 // Toot Dat Booty Up -- Dirtbag (imeem, cause I can't find my 12")

5 // Good Life -- T. Pain ft. Kanye (at least that's how it should read) (imeem) *6

6 // Wadsyaname - Nelly (imeem) *7

7 // Don't Call Me No Mo' - Project Pat ft. ThreeSix (imeem) *8

8 // Bite Down - Gorilla Zoe & Boyz n da Hood (mp3 cause i was too lazy to record the 12")

9 // Lost My - Gucci Mane ft. J-Money and DG Yola (mp3)

10 // Yahhh - Soulja Boy ft. Arab (this track gets cut off) (imeem) *9


NOTES

1 / this track is the shit, it has been my jawn for forever now, thanks to Rizzla let's get over calabria and fucking yang to this!!!!
2 / this is where I left off a month of so ago, when my deck was gettin wonkyyyy
3 / this track gets cut off
4 / ahhhh I fuckin love webbie. he slays me. he needs to drop something new soon. i want my brother to produce this kid sooooo fucking bad!!!!
5 / the cudi track was hot when it dropped but was definitely beat up by all the rmxs that followed - this Jones track fuckin makes me sweat everytime I listen to it and I still ain't tired of hearing it - but I am tired of hearing the rest of the cudi version. This is the YouTube video I recorded the song from, and despite my deapseated dislike for Jim Jones, this video makes me fukkin yip yip yip yip yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip
6 / not so sure I dig the placement of this track, but I wanted to take it to the radio a few years back. was thinkin of 'All the Above' but this is its predecessor (this track without doubt started the still-going trend of posi radio hop) and so I went with it. whatever
7 / why this was never a banger i'll never understand, ppl hate on nelly so hard they fuckin blind to the beauty!!!
8 / best line in this shit: "I ain't got time to hit her numba three times for one letta" - this resonated so hard for me before i entered the smartphone world; who the fuck is worth hittin a number three times for one letter?? not many not many.
9 / i fucking love this song. it's so annoying and it's meant to be. get up out my face you doodoo head dummy. i don't really like the dirty version, so this is the radio track.

1 comment:

LINKS: Eating A Hobo - Spool Spectrum - This Moi - Wasted Youth Sound System - Weekend Party Update - Besty Q. Bramble - Todo Mundo - Rogue Femme Art - Holy Craft! Fair

Free Blog Counter