Friday, September 25, 2009

Fink Tape #2

So, it's fall. The first day of Autumn was this past week, my birthday is a week from today, and while the earth tries to fight it, with its patchy ozone and ever-hotter sun, it is getting cooler. While I don't stop my constant jam consumption as the sky and ground begin to cool, I do start to listen to little more guitar. A little more banjo. A little more voice. A little more lo-fi.

I started this tape a few weeks ago and finished side A today. When I started the tape, it had a different tracklisting. I recorded about 3/4 of the tape and decided to start over, something I do often. Except, somehow, magically, little snippets of the previous tracklist appear between almost every song on the finished tape. At first, it bothered me a teeny bit, but after my first reaction I realized I really liked it - it almost sounds like I was listening to the radio, recording full songs I liked and then switching stations until I found something else I liked. So, sorry if you don't dig it, but I do.

t's a 90 minute tape and I don't have the patience to go all the way. I finished the first side and decided - that was that.

Here it is.



SIDE A (only side, for now)

1 // Dramamine - Sun Kil Moon (modest mouse cover) (imeem)
(snippet of i don't know what)

2 // Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine (mp3)
(snippet of Jim White's Still Waters)

3 // Long May You Burn - Papa M (mp3)
(snippet of Kirk Kelly singing Springsteen's Downbound Train)

4 // Winterlong - Neil Young (mp3)
(snippet of Gillian Welch's Revelator)

5 // The Young Alchemists - The Van Pelt (LP)
(the end of revelator)

6 // Bed for the Scraping - Fugazi (mp3)

7 // Adobe - Books Lie (LP)

8 // Pervert - Descendents (mp3)
(guitar solo from Long May You Burn)

9 // Cough/Cool - Misfits (mp3)*

10 // Heart to Fool - Natureboy (mp3)
(quick snippet of The Beach Boys' Lets Get Away for A While)

11 // Chemirocha - Unknown (??) (mp3)**

12 // Your Rocky Spine - Great Lake Swimmers (mp3)

13 // Jam / Beginning of Riding with the Ghost - Magnolia Electric Co. live @ The Middle East (mp3)***


NOTES

*let it be noted that i'm not really happy with this transition - i'm a little confused as to why i decided to put these two songs back to back, but i get lost in the natureboy track when i listen to it so in the end it doesn't make that big of a difference... i guess. also, here's a little pondering i did about this song a while ago...

**
an old friend of mine, corey, sends me fileshare mixes every once in a while, and i'm really bad at listening to them. i let them sit for months and months before i listen but whenever i do, it's like he's managed to predict, months in advance, whatever i'm into at the point in time i end up listening to the mix he's sent me. this track was on there. it's ridiculous.

***I recorded this when Magnolia Electric Co. played @ the middle east a month or two ago. this was my first time recording a live band in a venue - this summer i've been recording a lot of festivals, but that's different. anyways, this was a great show and this jam was really dope. in some ways it reminds me of 'united or alone', an old songs:ohia track. i also like how someone, not j.molina and most likely not any of the other band members, starts singing neil youngs' 'down by the river'. i've never heard an extended jam of that song, but i bet it's similar...




No comments:

Post a Comment

LINKS: Eating A Hobo - Spool Spectrum - This Moi - Wasted Youth Sound System - Weekend Party Update - Besty Q. Bramble - Todo Mundo - Rogue Femme Art - Holy Craft! Fair

Free Blog Counter